Saturday, February 26, 2011

Uncle Pai and 'Tinkle'



Certain things in life become a part and parcel of our lives although it does not belong to us on a personal level and to mention a few - Amar Chitra Katha series, Tinkle  etc etc. I can go on and on with my personal likes but I am sure the ones I mentioned is loved by one and all.  Writing on a sombre note and while paying tribute to Mr.Anant Pai, the creator of the same, would like to share with you the conception of his work.

It was during the 60's Mr.Anant Pai, fondly addressed as 'Uncle Pai' came into limelight with his Amar Chitra Katha series.   He was interested in starting a children's magazine 'Manav' in the year 1954 and the attempt failed .  He had a  stint with the  'The Times of India'   and it was at this time, the Indarajal comics was launched by the Times. But, it was during a quiz contest aired on Doordarshan in 1967, the concept of Amar Chitra Katha gave birth.  Uncle Pai observed during the course of the quiz that the children were not able to answer questions about Indian Mythology although they had knowledge about Greek Mythology.  (Information Courtesy-Wikipedia)

He quit his job at the Times and concentrated in the Amar Chitra Katha comic series.  His concept was rejected  by many leading publishers but with the help of late G.L.Mirchandani of India Book House, came into effect these ever green Katha comics.    These series became a super duper hit in the Indian comic scenario.  In 1980, began the birth of the famous 'Tinkle'. 

Here, began the journey of Tinkle and us.  Most of us cherish the characters of Tinkle and would look forward for new editions.  The story kept simple and the language easy to understand, most of them would relate to our day to day life.  Shikari Shambu, Kaalia the crow, Kapish the monkey, Tantri the Mantri, Pyarelal and my most favourite Suppandi would live with us in this world forever.  These characters seemed to belong to everyone and the comical interpretations makes them a happy read for young and the old.  Amar Chitra Katha  or literally translating  'Immortal stories' takes  pride of making Hindu mythology well aware amongst the children, the stories well told with the beautiful depiction of the characters in sketch.   Did u know that some of these comic series have been translated to French,Spanish, Swahili, Fijian and Indonesian languages.
I still have tons of Tinkle magazines in my book shelf and it is a read anytime of the day, any mood and  peps u at times of stress and off-beat situations. 

Uncle Pai, you would  continue to live amongst us through your characters and fondly remembered for years to come.

8 comments:

  1. Oh am so sad, Uncle Pai miss u:)..may his soul rest in peace..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will surely miss tinkle :)
    May his soul rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was very sad when I heard that Uncle Pai had passed away. Tinkle was my fav comic and I still love shikari Sambu and supandi...
    He will always be remembered among the young and old.May he rest in peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad i heard that Uncle Pai passed away.Tinkle is our favorite comic book.My kid's grown but i kept those lovely comic books in my collection.May his sole rest in piece.

    Thanks for visit my blog.I am glad to follow you.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love Tinkle series, and miss reading them so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a huge fan of tinkle- Thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comments. loved your blog and now you have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the site. Hope you enjoyed the blogs. Your comments are most welcome.

Related Posts with Thumbnails